This degree is intended for students with interests in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, microbiology, or genetics, including subsequent careers in research and biotechnology.
24-Credit Group: Complete at least 24 credits of 2000-level or higher courses in MCB, of which at least 9 credits must be at the 3000-level or above (for students with catalog year of 2017/2018), with an average GPA of 2.0 or higher.
The 24-credit group includes courses from the MCB core, writing in the major, and laboratory requirements below. Students may apply no more than 3 independent study credits (from MCB 3189, 3899, 3989, 4989) toward their 24-credit group.
- BIOL 1107 Principles of Biology I (4 cr.)
MCB Core Courses: complete all of the following:
- MCB 2210 Cell Biology (3 cr.)
- MCB 2410 Genetics (3 cr.) or MCB 2400 Human Genetics (3 cr.)
- MCB 2610 Fundamentals of Microbiology (4 cr.)
- MCB 2000 Introduction to Biochemistry (4 cr.) or MCB 3010 Biochemistry (5 cr.)
Writing in the Major: complete at least one of the following:
- MCB 3022W Human Disease (3 cr.)
- MCB 3602W Bioinf. Tools Microb. Gen. Annot. (1 cr.)
- MCB 3841W Research and Literature in MCB (3 cr.)
- MCB 3996W Research Thesis in MCB (3 cr.)
- MCB 4026W Advanced Biochemistry Lab (4 cr.)
- MCB 4997W Honors Research Thesis in MCB (3 cr.)
- EEB 2244W General Ecology (4 cr.)
- EEB 2245W Evolutionary Biology (4 cr.)
Laboratory Requirement: complete at least one of the following:
- MCB 2225 Cell Biology Laboratory (4 cr.)
- MCB 3189 Clinical Research Lab (3 cr.)*
- MCB 3413 Concepts of Genetic Analysis (3 cr.)
- MCB 3633 Pathogenic Microbiology (4 cr.)
- MCB 3989 Introduction to Research (3 cr.)*
- MCB 4026W Advanced Biochem. Lab (4 cr.)
- MCB 4624 Experiments in Bacterial Genetics (3 cr.)
- MCB 4989 Introduction to Honors Research (3 cr.)*
*Three total credits required. May be repeated, but only 3 cr. of either course may count toward the 24 cr. of required MCB courses.
Organic Chemistry: complete both of the following:
- CHEM 2443 Organic Chemistry I (3 cr.)
- CHEM 2444 Organic Chemistry II (3 cr.)
Related Courses: Complete at least 12 credits of 2000-level or higher related courses outside MCB . Speak with your assigned advisor to determine which courses can count as Relateds. Includes CHEM 2443 and 2444.
- BIOL 1107 is only required in addition to CLAS requirements for the B.S. degree.
- Use the MCB Requirements Worksheet, General Education Audit Sheet, and Major Sample Sequence. Use these forms to keep track of general education requirements & major requirements.
- BIOL 2289 counts towards the 24 credits in the major.
- For honors requirements in MCB, view the MCB honors page and MCB honors courses page.
- “Like” the MCB Facebook page for updates.