This degree is intended for students with interests in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, microbiology, or genetics, including subsequent careers in research and biotechnology.
To review graduation requirements for the major, please refer to the Major Requirements Worksheet for your catalog year. To look up your catalog year and keep track of graduation requirements, review your Academic Requirements Report on Student Admin. Catalog year is found at the top of your Academic Requirements Report.
Students can obtain a B.S. degree.
Complete at least 24 credits of 2000-level or higher courses in MCB, of which at least 9 credits must be at the 3000-level or above (for students with catalog year of 2017/2018 and later), with an average GPA of 2.0 or higher.
The 24-credit group includes courses from the MCB core, writing in the major, and laboratory requirements below. Students may apply no more than 3 independent study credits (from MCB 3189, 3899, 3989, 4989) toward their 24-credit group.
- BIOL 1107 Principles of Biology I (4 cr.)
MCB Core Courses: complete all of the following:
- MCB 2210 Cell Biology (3 cr.) or MCB 2215 Honors Cell Biology (3 cr.)
- MCB 2410 Genetics (3 cr.) or MCB 2400 Human Genetics (3 cr.)
- MCB 2610 Fundamentals of Microbiology (4 cr.)
- MCB 2000 Introduction to Biochemistry (4 cr.) or MCB 3010 Biochemistry (5 cr.)
Writing in the Major: complete at least one of the following#:
- MCB 3022W Human Disease (3 cr.)
- MCB 3602W Bioinf. Tools Microb. Gen. Annot. (1 cr.)
- MCB 3841W Research and Literature in MCB (3 cr.)
- MCB 3842W Current Investigations in Cancer Cell Biology (3 cr.)
- MCB 3843W Research Literature in Comp. Genomics (3 cr.)
- MCB 3845W Microbial Diversity, Ecology and Evolution (3 cr.)
- MCB 3996W Research Thesis in MCB (3 cr.)
- MCB 4026W Advanced Biochemistry Lab (4 cr.)
- MCB 4997W Honors Research Thesis in MCB (3 cr.)
*EEB 2244W, General Ecology, and EEB 2245W, Evolutionary Biology, (4 cr.) can be used to fulfill this requirement for students with catalog years prior to 2018-2019 and for catalog year 2019-2020. Please note that this course doesn’t count for the 24 credit major group but this course will count as a related course.
Laboratory Requirement: complete at least one of the following:
- MCB 2225 Cell Biology Laboratory (4 cr.)
- MCB 2612 Microbe Hunters – Crowdsourcing Antibiotic Discovery (4 cr.)
- MCB 3189 Clinical Research Lab (3 cr.)*
- MCB 3220 Developmental Biology Lab (4 cr.)
- MCB 3413 Concepts of Genetic Analysis (3 cr.)
- MCB 3633 Pathogenic Microbiology (4 cr.)
- MCB 3989 Introduction to Research (3 cr.)*
- MCB 4026W Advanced Biochem. Lab (4 cr.)
- MCB 4624 Experiments in Bacterial Genetics (3 cr.)
- MCB 4989 Introduction to Honors Research (3 cr.)*
*Three total credits required. May be repeated, but only 3 cr. of either course may count toward the 24 cr. of required MCB courses.
Organic Chemistry: complete both of the following:
- CHEM 2443 Organic Chemistry I (3 cr.)
- CHEM 2444 Organic Chemistry II (3 cr.)
Related Courses: Complete at least 12 credits of 2000-level or higher related courses outside MCB (Includes CHEM 2443 and 2444). Speak with your assigned advisor to determine which courses can count as Relateds. EEB and PNB courses are pre-approved relateds.
- Use the MCB Requirements Worksheet, General Education Audit Sheet, and Major Sample Sequence. Use these forms to keep track of general education requirements & major requirements.
- For honors requirements in MCB, view the MCB honors page and MCB honors courses page.
- “Like” the MCB Facebook page for updates.