This degree is intended for students interested in the physiology and neurobiology of humans and animals. Coursework spans the fields of comparative physiology, neurobiology, molecular endocrinology, reproductive endocrinology, developmental neurobiology, and neurochemistry.
Complete at least 24 credits of 2000-level or higher courses in PNB with an average GPA of 2.0 or higher. The 24-credit group includes courses from the core and writing in the major requirements below. Students may apply no more than 3 independent study credits of PNB 3180, 3295, 3299 toward their 24-credit group.
Introductory Biology Courses: complete all of the following:
- BIOL 1107 Principles of Biology I (4 cr.)
- BIOL 1108 Principles of Biology II (4 cr.)
Physics Sequence: complete one sequence from the following:
- PHYS 1201Q, 1202Q and 1230 General Physics I & II and General Physics Problems (11 cr. total)
- PHYS 1401Q and 1402Q General Physics with Calculus I & II (8 cr. total)
- PHYS 1601Q and 1602Q Honors Fundamentals of Physics I & II (8 cr. total)
PNB Core Courses: complete all of the following:
- PNB 2274 Enhanced Human Physiology & Anatomy I and PNB 2275 Enhanced Human Physiology & Anatomy II (8 cr.)
- PNB 3251 Biology of the Brain (3 cr.)
- PNB 3262 Mammalian Endocrinology (2 cr.) or PNB 3265 Comparative Endocrinology (3 cr.)
Note: PNB 2264 or PNB 2265 or PNB 92501 (non-equivalent transfer credit) does not count towards the major.
Writing in the Major: complete at least one of the following:
- PNB 3120W Scientific Writing in Neurobiology (1 cr.)
- PNB 3263WQ Investigations in Neurobiology (3 cr.)
- PNB 3264W Molecular Principles of Physiology (4 cr.)
- PNB 4296W Senior Research Thesis in Physiology and Neurobiology (3 cr.)
- Take additional PNB courses to meet the 24 credits of 2000-level or higher courses in PNB requirement.
- The 24-credit group includes courses from the core and writing in the major requirements above.
- Students may apply no more than 3 independent study credits of PNB 3180, 3295, 3299 toward their 24-credit group.
- A maximum of 1 credit of PNB 3279 can count towards the 24 credits in the major.
Related Courses: all of the following:
- CHEM 2443 Organic Chemistry I (3 cr.)
- CHEM 2444 Organic Chemistry II (3 cr.)
- MCB 2400 Human Genetics (3 cr.) or MCB 2410 Genetics (3 cr.)
- MCB 2000 Introduction to Biochemistry (4 cr.) or MCB 3010 Biochemistry (5 cr.)
- Use the PNB Requirements Worksheet, General Education Audit Sheet, and Major Sample Sequence. Use these forms to keep track of general education requirements & major requirements.
- Honors students refer to the honors page for honors requirements in your major.