This degree is intended for students interested in the physical and chemical aspects of molecular biology.
To review graduation requirements for the major, please refer to the Major Requirements Worksheet for your catalog year. To look up your catalog year and keep track of graduation requirements, review your Academic Requirements Report on Student Admin. Catalog year is found at the top of your Academic Requirements Report. The requirements below are for the 2019 – 2020 catalog year.
Students can obtain a B.S. degree.
Complete at least 36 credits of 2000-level or higher courses with an average GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Required Prerequisite Courses: complete all of the following:
- BIOL 1107 Principles of Biology I (4 cr.)
- MATH 1131Q and MATH 1132Q (8 cr.)
- CHEM 1127Q and CHEM 1128Q or CHEM 1147Q and CHEM 1148Q (8 cr.) or CHEM 1124Q, CHEM 1125Q, CHEM 1126Q (10 cr.)
- PHYS 1401Q and 1402Q, PHYS 1501Q and 1502Q or PHYS 1601Q and 1602Q (8 cr. total)
Required Courses: complete all of the following:
- MATH 2110 Multivariable Calculus or MATH 2130 Honors Multivariable Calculus (4 cr.)
- MATH 2210 Applied Linear Algebra or MATH 2410 Elem. Differential Equations or MATH 2420 Honors Differential Equations (3 cr.)
- CHEM 2445 Organic Chemistry Lab (3 cr.)
- MCB 3003 Biohysical Chemistry I (3 cr.)
- MCB 3004 Biophysical Chemistry II (formerly offered as MCB 3007) (3 cr.)
- MCB 3010 Biochemistry (5 cr.) or both MCB 2000 Intro. to Biochemistry (4 cr.) and MCB 4026W Adv. Biochem. Lab (4 cr.)
- MCB 4008 Techniques of Biophysical Chemistry (3 cr.) or MCB 3895 Special Topics (with Biophysics Program approval)
- MCB 4009 Structure and Function of Biological Macromolecules (3 cr.)
Writing in the Major: complete at least one of the following:
- CHEM 3170W Technical Communications (3 cr.)
- CHEM 4196W Thesis for Undergraduate Chemistry Majors (3 cr.)
- MCB 3841W Research and Literature in MCB (3 cr.)
- MCB 3842W Current Investigations in Cancer Cell Biology (3 cr.)
- MCB 3843W Research Literature in Comparative Genomics (3 cr.)
- MCB 3845W Microbial Diversity, Ecology, and Evolution (3 cr.)
- MCB 4026W Advanced Biochem. Lab. (4 cr.)
- MCB 4997W Honors Research Thesis in MCB (3 cr.)
- Intro to Research: MCB 3989 or MCB 4989, may be repeated but only 3 credits may count toward 36-credit group
- Cell Biology: MCB 2210 or MCB 3201 (3 cr.)
- Genetics: MCB 2410 (3 cr.) or MCB 3412 (3 cr.) or MCB 3413 (4 cr.)
- Microbiology: MCB 2610 (4 cr.) or MCB 3617 (4 cr.)
- MCB 3421: Introduction to Molecular Evolution and Bioinformatics (3 cr.)
- CHEM 2443 and CHEM 2444 Organic Chemistry (6 cr.)
- CHEM 3332 Quantitative Analytical Chemistry (4 cr.)
- CHEM 4551 Introduction to Quantum Chemistry (3 cr.)
- MATH 3210 Abstract Linear Algebra (3 cr.)
- Honors students refer to the honors page for honors requirements in your major.