This degree is intended for students interested in the physical and chemical aspects of molecular biology.
36-Credit Group: Complete at least 36 credits of 2000-level or higher courses, including required MATH, CHEM, MCB, writing in the major courses, and recommended courses listed below, with an average GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Required MATH Courses: complete all of the following:
- MATH 2110 Multivariable Calculus (4 cr.) or MATH 2130 Honors Multivariable Calculus (4 cr.)
- MATH 2410 Elem. Differential Equations (3 cr.) or MATH 2420 Honors Differential Equations (3 cr.)
Required CHEM Courses: complete all of the following:
- CHEM 2443 Organic Chemistry I (3 cr.)
- CHEM 2444 Organic Chemistry II (3 cr.)
- CHEM 2445 Organic Chemistry Lab (3 cr.) or CHEM 3565W Physical Chemistry Lab (2 cr.)
- CHEM 3563 Physical Chemistry I (4 cr.)
- CHEM 3564 Physical Chemistry II (4 cr.)
Required MCB Courses: complete all of the following:
- MCB 3010 Biochem. (5 cr.) or both MCB 2000 Intro. to Biochem. (4 cr.) and MCB 4026W Adv. Biochem. Lab (4 cr.) NOTE: MCB 3010 Biochem. is the preferred course to complete this major in a timely manner.
- MCB 4008 Techniques of Biophysical Chem. (3 cr.) or MCB 3895 Special Topics (with Biophysics Program approval)
- MCB 4009 Structure and Function of Biol. Macromolecules (3 cr.)
Writing in the Major: complete at least one of the following:
- CHEM 3170W Technical Communications (3 cr.)
- CHEM 4196W Thesis for Ugrd Chem. Majors (3 cr.)
- MCB 3841W Research and Literature in MCB (3 cr.)
- MCB 4026W Advanced Biochem. Lab. (4 cr.)
- MCB 4997W Honors Research Thesis in MCB (3 cr.)
- Senior Research Thesis: MCB 3996W, MCB 4997W, or CHEM 4196W (3 cr.)
- Intro to Research: MCB 3989 or MCB 4989, may be repeated but only 3 credits may count toward 36 credit group
- Cell Biology: MCB 2210 or MCB 3201 (3 cr.)
- Genetics: MCB 2410 (3 cr.) or MCB 3413 (4 cr.) or MCB 3412 (3 cr.)
- Microbiology: MCB 2610 (4 cr.) or MCB 3617 (4 cr.) or MCB 3635 (3 cr.)
- MCB 3421: Introduction to Molecular Evolution and Bioinformatics (3 cr.)
- CHEM 3332: Quantitative Analytical Chemistry (4 cr.)
- CHEM 4551: Introduction to Quantum Chemistry (3 cr.)
- MATH 3210: Linear Algebra (3 cr.)
- Honors students refer to the honors page for honors requirements in your major.